GUN LICENSE APPLICATION FOR NEW YORK STATE
FULL SERVICE - NRA Basic Pistol Safety Course
In order to obtain a New York State Pistol Permit you must successfully complete a basic pistol safety course from a Certified NRA Instructor. Our training school offers this course along with “full service” pistol permit application assistance which includes professionally typed application, passport size photo’s, notary public services, photo copies, and additional typed letters. Most places charge $200.00 for just the class alone and do not offer application assistance. $300.00 for Full Service is definitely worth it!!
LICENSE FEE: $250.00
NB: Application fee is different from the NRA Basic safety course, and both fess have to be paid in full.
A firearms license is a state license however it is issued under the authority of county licensing officers. An applicant must decide what type of license will be sought.
The most common types of firearm licenses are:
- Carry concealed
- Possess on Premises
- Possess/Carry During Employment
How much does it cost?
The cost varies by county.
How long will the process take?
You should expect it to take a minimum of four months from the time of application until a license is either granted or denied.
To be eligible to have a firearms license you:
- Must be a New York State resident
- Must be 21 years old
- Have no prior felony or serious offense convictions
- Be of good moral character
- Have a legally recognized reason for wanting to possess or carry a firearm
- Be ready to open the business for which the license is being applied
You must apply in the county in which you live or are principally employed.
- In Upstate New York apply to the County Court through the office of the court clerk, county clerk or sheriff.
- In New York City, Nassau County and most of Suffolk County apply to the police commissioner.
- In eastern towns of Suffolk County apply to the Sheriff.
To complete the State of New York Pistol/Revolver License Application (PPB3), you will need to provide:
- Personal information such as your:
- Full Name
- Date of Birth
- Social Security Number
- Physical Description
- Criminal History
- Mental Health History
- Character References
- You will also need to provide a form of identification
The NYSAFE Act protects the privacy of pistol license holder:
- If you do not want your information released publicly, you can notify your County Clerk.
- You must complete a NYS Firearms License Request for Public Records Exemption form
To complete the Request for Public Records Exemption form:
- In the first section:
- Enter your name, date of birth, address and the county in which you are applying.
- If you hold a firearms license, provide your license number.
- In the second section:
- Check the box that best describes the reason your information should not be publicly disclosed.
- Sign and date the form.
- Submit the form by taking it to your local licensing office.
Click on the button to apply.